Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Rustic, Frostingless Wedding Cake

I've been noticing a delightfully rustic cake trend lately - the frostingless cake. With frosting or filling only in between the layers and not covering the entire cake, these cakes make a rustic and simple yet stunning statement. After years of overdone, over-fondanted cakes, I think we're seeing a new movement towards de-constructed cakes with an emphasis on taste and a rustic look. Celebrities like Hilary Duff have even gotten in on the trend. I've rounded up some of my favorite frosting-less cakes for you to check out...









What do you think? Are you loving this rustic, frostingless trend or not so much? I'm think I'm loving it if it both fits the feel of your wedding and tastes amazing, and I think these cakes are the perfect antidote to the overdone wedding cake trend we've seen for the past decade. Thoughts?

Credits: (First to last) Apple butter cake from Postcards and Pretties, applesauce cake from Country Living, 1-2-3-4 lemon cake from Martha Stewart, strawberry cake by Delicious Bakery photo by Abagail Seymour via Style Me Pretty, Hillary Duff's wedding cake from Ok! Magazine via Engaged and Inspired, fig cake by Cheryl Kleinman Cakes photo by Dave Robbins Photography, golden apple cake by Nine Cakes photo from Martha Stewart Weddings, strawberry shortcake from Martha Stewart Weddings.

18 comments:

  1. Honestly, I really don't like it :( I think it looks unfinished. But that's just me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well i have to say i LOVE them!! They look home made and probably taste like my mother's cakes... so YES, i love them! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a fan of any cake PERIOD!! For some reason I especially love the first one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say that for the most part I LOVE them! There are some that definitely look better than others...but as Chris said - it's cake!!! Awesome round up my dear ;-)

    xoxo
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good roundup! I like some more than others. The first one and the one with the strawberries are my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of those are beautiful and I think I could support them if they always looked like that. Overall though, I love the look of frosting. Not a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them... they look rustic which is right up my alley!! I esp love the fig one and the one with the gold apples... oh and the berry ones. Ok ALL of them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE frosting-less cakes! These all look delish; especially the one with gold fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's not my bag. When I did the post in Hilary Duff's wedding my friend said she should've handed out mini frosting tubs as favors... I agree. ;) But to each their own and if the couple likes their cake that way then good for them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yum-o on them all, but gotta say can never go wrong with the strawberry beauty ;)

    carolinachic83

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love this look-especially for the gorgeous rustic weddings that have been so popular lately. You can make a gorgeous cake with sheets of fondant, but it's certainly not my favorite thing to snack on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. should not have looked at these right before lunch. i want cake now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum!! The outside of the cake is so crunchy and delicious!! I'm a frosting girl but this is so simple and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like them. I do. They look homemade and rustic. And like Chris said, it's cake! But I'm a big fan of frosting! I love the look of it and I love eating it! Great new trend though! It's different - and different is good! But frosting will always have a place in my heart, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am loving these cakes and have also noticed the rustic cake trend lately...I can't wait to have an occasion to make one (does a Friday night count as an occasion?). Just came across your blog and am loving every stinking post - keep up the pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is really helping me with my choice of banana cake for my wedding - no frosting seemed right taste-wise, and now I have some ideas on how to make the cake look fab! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails