Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Real Wedding: A Sunny Yellow DIY Wedding in Brooklyn

Apparently I wasn't alone yesterday in my total crush on yellow and grey - so I just had to share another fab take on it today! Alicia and Adam of Bows and Arrows had an amazing DIY yellow and grey bird themed wedding in Brooklyn last May. Alicia is a florist and the couple is super creative and their wedding didn't disappoint, from Alicia's vintage inspired dress to the yellow and white decor, the cocktail hour before the ceremony (with boat rides!), to the drop dead gorgeous flowers (which she arranged), to the Rockabilly reception band.

From the bride Alicia: "We wanted our wedding to be a perfect reflection of us. We chose the Boathouse at the Audubon Center in Prospect Park. It is a gorgeous setting, removed from the city, the building has great character, and it's right on the water! Our main color was yellow with touches of white and grey. Everything fit within our color scheme and was very detailed. We love birds and see them as very symbolic of nature and spring. Since our wedding was at the Audubon Center, we played that up and added birds into our decor through our place cards and favors."
"I redesigned a J.Crew dress to look a bit more precious and vintage! The dress was antique white with a sweetheart neckline and fabric covered beads and ruffles, a wide sash that tied into a big bow in the back, and it was cut just below my knees. I wore a yellow vintage crinoline square dance petticoat under the dress and yellow satin shoes with a bow. To top it off, my main jewelry accessory was a yellow acrylic necklace that announced my new last name...RICO!"
"We had our cocktail hour before our ceremony. It was very relaxed and a great way to start the evening! We had boat rides in the lake for all of the guests and wedding party. Our passed appetizers included grilled cheese sandwiches, deviled eggs, and mini cheese burgers. Everyone had a drink in hand. We had a 3 piece blue grass band playing outside and everyone signed fabric squares that are being made into a quilt by Adam's mom."
"I wore a different dress during the cocktail hour. The dress, by BCBG, was a yellow buttercream color, short with pleated ruffles. I wore yellow patent leather flats with the dress."
"Since I am a florist, I knew exactly what I wanted. This was so much fun for me! I made all of the bouquets and boutonnieres myself. My bouquet was very soft and subtle and consisted of many of my favorite flowers: butter ranunculus, Bartzella peonies, Duchess peony, sweet pea, Toulouse Lautrec yellow garden roses, dusty miller. It was wrapped and tied off with vintage lace, ribbons, trims, pompoms, and streamers."
The couple, both art majors, gave art as favors - screenprinted and framed art by the groom of different birds native to the region. Each was unique!
"We collected over 125 pieces of vintage milk glass for our centerpiece vases to cluster down the length of the table amidst yellow and white pompoms. Each arrangement was unique, depending on the vessel. The look was pretty lush and gardeny but very eclectic. We used all of my favorite yellow and white flowers: ranunculus, hydrangea, lilac, sweet pea, dusty miller, peony, queen anne's lace, spirea, garden roses, agapanthus, billy balls, football mums, baby's breath, and yarrow."
Thanks so much Alicia from Bows and Arrows for sending this over!!

Vendors: Photography - Maureen Davis Photography, Ceremony/Reception Location - The Boathouse at Prospect Park in Brooklyn, NY, Flowers - Seaport Flowers, Bride's Gown and shoes - J.Crew, Cocktail dress - BCBG, Groom's Attire - Tommy Hilfiger, Bridesmaid's Dresses - BCBG, Catering and rentals - The Moveable Feast, Cake and Petit Fours - Nine Cakes, Macarons - Almondine Bakery

14 comments:

  1. Oh I love this wedding! The details and colors are so perfect! The bouquets/flowers are amazing. Love the table numbers and dessert table too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm this close to consider yellow my favorite color... and i have to say that after this wedding .....yellow rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The short wedding dress, the little yellow shoes and those bangs-I have a legitimate crush on this wedding, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looooooooooove this wedding! The personalized fabric squares being sewn into a quilt is an amazing idea...as is the cocktail hour before the ceremony! Gorgeous wedding!

    Also, where did you have the best luck finding the vintage milk glass?

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO.SO.SO Gorgeous!!!! Love the flowers, yellow details, & the quilt idea is so sweet!! Pretty amazing wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This wedding is gorgeous! I love the wreath! We are also scavenging for milk glass and I can not wait to use it after the wedding around the house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite color palette it seems. I could be partial for my logo is the same color palette!!
    This is a beautiful wedding! Gorgeous flowers and the bridal party is so elegant. Well done!
    La Vie Le Gage Couture Events Wedding Planning
    Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  8. Making my late night rounds! Thi is one of my favorite color combos! Love it, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh the details are so fun! Just adore the table number!! Gorgeous flowers. Her dress is sweet...I just love that length! Lots of great inspiration!!

    xoxo
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Her dress is so adorable! I love, love, love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great wedding venue and her wedding dress is super adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks absolutely beautiful. You're dress and colours are remarkable! I am not a creative person so I am very envious of your talents! Wonderful job with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This wedding looked absolutely amazing! Would you be able to send me some photos of your wedding quilt? I love the idea and want to do the same at my wedding in July! What kind of pens did you use? If you can, can you please send me photos via e-mail at meags_allen@hotmail.com?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails