Wednesday, March 31, 2010

DIY: Faux Milk Glass Vases

I wanted to share the DIY project that I entered into Ruffled's Found Tucked Away and Used Today DIY Contest. I personally think that DIY is at it’s best when it saves you money and time while adding a special touch that enhances your wedding or event. Vintage milk glass is beautiful, but I know first hand how hard it can be to track down good pieces without spending hours driving around, scouring the internet, or paying a fortune. So I wanted to replicate the look of milk glass on a budget using some vintage glass vases and glossy white spray paint.

What you’ll need:
- Assorted vintage glass vases (I found mine at a local thrift store, 9 pieces for $5)
- Rubbing Alcohol (optional)
- Brown craft paper or newspaper
- Latex gloves
- White glossy spray paint (I used Krylon Multipurpose Indoor/Outdoor Gloss White)
Instructions:
Step 1: Use rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball or paper towel to remove any sticky residue from the vases. Wash vases with soap and dry completely.
Step 2: Lay down paper on your spraying surface in a well-ventilated area. Shake spray paint for 1-2 minutes before spraying. Shake between sprays as well. Wearing gloves, work from side to side spraying vases with spray paint. Don’t get too close to the vase to avoid drips/runs. (No need to spray paint the inside of the vases, just do the tops; spraying the inside then using them for flowers with water will cause the inside paint to flake off).
Step 3: Rotate vase until covered, let dry a few minutes before adding a second coat. Let dry completely.

The results: I wanted to set up a cute vintage + springy tablescape to display the vases, and used white stock, yellow rannuculus and red tulips for a simple yet lush arrangements. I used a vintage strawberry print tablecloth and napkins, a red quilted table runner, strawberry sodas, white plates topped with glass salad plates spray painted blue on the bottom, and red velvet cupcakes with marzipan stawberries on top as a sweet treat.
Voting for the winner of the contest starts soon over at Ruffled, I'll post a link when voting opens up! ♥

10 comments:

  1. Loved this - you are such a creativity star Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat idea! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your project - I was thinking of doing the same thing. I have been saving many clear jugs and bottles to use at my wedding, but I was afraid that spray painting them would look, well, spray painted. Yours don't look like that at all. I'll have to try it! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea! So easy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful flower pot.i really like your method to make cute them nice.just use our paint to create decorative colored glass, industrial colored glass, architectural colored glass, and more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so cool! such a neat idea. love your table setting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this...I am going to try it out!
    DAisy~

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails